Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Century Turns

Hello to my friends. Once again my busy life has consumed much of my free time. I have been blessed with two trips with customers on a quail hunt in South Georgia. Hunting quail in a southern pine Forest is a wonderful experience. The beauty of massive oaks draped in Spanish moss is something you don't see every day. In the midst of this traveling I completed reading a new book by William (Bill) Bennett, titled "A Century Turns".

This book is a true history book. While I must admit that I don't spend a lot of time delving in historical writing. This book however is a history of our country through the Bush One presidency all the way to our present leader Barrack Obama. I truly can say that each day I looked forward to my time with this book. I learned many things about the nineties that slipped by me when I was living during this time. Each presidency was analyzed with insights that few of us have the opportunity to hear during the actual time in which they take place.

I learned that I truly liked the Bush One presidency far more than I realized. President Bush made decisions that were right for our country and for this he was relegated to only one term. I also learned that Bush Two was not quite the man his father was. Perhaps it was the situations that he found himself in that caused some decisions that were not the best for the country. Each President during the nineties and the turn of the century are looked at from a historical perspective. It is also interesting how decisions made in early 2000 to 2008 will affect each of us for years to come.

I felt that Bennett writes from an unbiased viewpoint and really tells the story of a twenty year period of turmoil, terrorist attacks, economic disaster, social ills and all the good bad and ugly of our country during this time. His book will be used as a source of history recorded during these turbulent years. He also tells of where we are today and the challenges we face.

Did the book encourage me as an American for the days that lie ahead? I am not sure as I write this review that I know the answer to this question. He did help me understand how some decisions, good and bad are made during times of crisis. Mr. Bennett served during the Reagan and Bush One presidencies and has enjoyed a seat near great men who served our country. He writes from a perspective that few have experienced.

I think anyone that will take the time to read this book will walk away with a better understanding of where we have been as a country and where we are heading. I think that any serious student of history should read this book and even the person with a casual interest will find this book rewarding and enlightening. It is well worth the time spent and the person will be rewarded with much knowledge of our history and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I am a husband, father and grandfather to 5 beautiful little girls. I am a follower of Christ