Monday, August 9, 2010

FAMILY

It seems that we have lately been besieged with birthdays. Birthdays are good in that we recognize the honoree with a special day or days just for them. This week my son Jason celebrated his thirty-seventh birthday. He was born on August 8th, 1973. Kind of a significant day in that this was the day that one of my favorite Presidents (Richard Millhouse Nixon) was forced to resign during the Watergate scandal. Many of you probably have no idea what I am talking about but it was an interesting era of American history.

Another interesting situation about Jason's birthday was that I was employed by Sears Roebuck and Co. This particular day our staff from the Kansas City office came to the store for a regular review and they were on a head hunting trip. It seemed the new guy in charge of my area (advertising-sales promotion) did not like my work and let the whole group know it. Me being full of pride and not prone to accept a head on attack told the whole group that they could take this job and shove it. I walked out that afternoon and went home. I proceeded to tell Sharon what I had done with no thoughts of ramifications to insurance etc. Well the interesting thing is that Sharon began to have labor pains after hearing the news. I being a detail man began to record every contraction as to when it occurred, how long it lasted and the frequency between pains When I called the Doctor I had a complete history of the pains. He told us to head to the hospital and a few hours later we had our first born son Jason. It was a proud moment for mom and I. The rest of the story is that my boss (Mr. Ken Perkin) called from Sears and said my walking out made a huge impression on the KC staff and they felt their approach was overbearing and somewhat cruel. I was reinstated with no loss of any benefits...pay, insurance, etc.

Jason has grown up to be a fine young man. He was always a great child. I can honestly say that he has never gave his mom and I any problems while growing up. We were never in a hurry to get him graduated and out of the house. We loved having him around. I was there when he shot his first buck (a seven point at 300 steps up a mesa in West Texas. I was playing golf on a different team during our club championship in Clarksville, Arkansas when he recorded a hole-in-one on a par 3 of over 200 yards. He got to buy the drinks and since he was a young teenager a coke was the strongest drink he could by. Jason excelled on the golf course all the way through high school and participated in the state tournament four years in a row. Now he is just like dad in that he works all the time and does not have time to play golf.

Jason married Jama in June of 2000 so they have been married ten years. They both graduated from the University of Arkansas. Their union has produced two lovely daughters, Reagan and Avery, ages 7 and 6 respectively. These little girls are absolutely brilliant and they are loved so much by Sharon and I and their families. We hope to see them here in GA over labor day. I will tell more about them as birthdays, etc occur. We also hope to post more recent pics of them on the website.

Jason is doing well in his career with Home Depot. He stuck it out during their long training period and was recently promoted to an assistant manager position. He will work in this role for a couple of years and hopefully continue to progress in his career. My main worry for Jason is that he watched his dad (me) work endless hours and spend days traveling away from my family. I did not have my priorities in order and hopefully he will not make the same mistakes. He is blessed with his wife Jama in that she makes sure the girls always have opportunities to participate in a variety of activities and always has meal time together etc. The family always manages to take neat vacations together each year. Jason and Jama are blessed with Jama's family being located close to their home in Edmond, OK. My advice to Jason or any dad is quite simple...Put God first in all things, your family second and your work third. If you follow this simple plan, your life will be in order. Needless to say I am proud to call Jason my son.


Finally I want to talk about our other birthday girl. Holly's eldest daughter, Ellie. Ellie celebrated her fifth birthday on August 5th. She was born in Charlottsville, Virginia. Ellie and her parents soon came to live with us temporarily here in Georgia when Mike was searching for a new church to serve. So I guess I got to know her probably better than my other grandchildren. I taught her how to dunk chocolate chip cookies in my milk while sitting in my lap and watching TV together. She learned how not to spill a drop. She and I really got to know one another during this year or so together. I remember her falling down a flight of fourteen steps to our basement...very scary. Another time she fell into our pool, fully clothed, long before the water was ready for swimming..scared me to death. She is a very loving child and she can melt my heart with a simple "I love you Papa". Ellie is so realistic about her relationship with God. She believes as a simple child that God can do anything. She is not shy to ask Him for what ever her little heart desires or her family needs. I know that her parents Mike and Holly spend a lot of time every night reading scriptures to her and her sisters and in prayer.

The bad thing about writing about particular loved ones is that the others may feel left out but all would agree the story would be too long if I tried to include a story about each one so the best way is to recognize them on birthdays or other special occasions.

I will close out today's post by saying that this past weekend was a wonderful time for Sharon and I. We were able to spend Sunday with our best friends in the world. Our small group from our church were all able to attend church together, shared lunch at Ted's and then regathered Sunday evening for a time of sweet fellowship including Bible Study, Prayer and of course some great food. These special friends have been beside us all the way through this cancer. They have brought meals, moved furniture, run errands, driven me to clinics but most importantly they have prayed without ceasing for this old man and my lovely bride. They are always there lifting prayers to heaven for us and for this we are eternally grateful. I would like to recognize them though many of you will not know their names. They are as follows: Rollie and Merlyn Bevers, Paul and Marcy Kreager, Joe and Laura Lynn Swafford, Steve and Dawn Renee Flynt, Jim and Kathy Stewart and of course Sharon and I. We along with these couples have been doing life together for over a year and we have become as close as a family. We have spent many hours learning together as we pour over God's Word. We have prayed for one another and our families. We have spent much time weeping together during trials and tests and also from joy of answered prayers. God truly brought us together for such as time as this and I know that with my Cancer that God had a plan long before my diagnosis that these folks would be there for Sharon and I.

My quiver is full and my heart bursts with love for all of you. How can we ever truly thank you all for your love and caring.

Doug

1 comment:

Followers

About Me

I am a husband, father and grandfather to 5 beautiful little girls. I am a follower of Christ