Friday, August 13, 2010

RANDOM QUOTES.....

I have been thinking about how to share some of the riches I have enjoyed over the years. One of the things I have always tried to do is to record great quotes when I hear them. I have written many of these down in my old Bible and thankfully can share them with you. I have given credit when I knew the author. I hope you enjoy.

  • Peace is not the absence of problems, but the presence of the power of God. Rev. H.D. McCarty, Fayetteville, Ark. Note: I was fortunate to take two classes under him at Quachita Baptist University.
  • Nothing is as bad as it seems....we tend to overestimate our problems and underestimate our King. Mickey Bonner.
  • Grace: God gives us grace though we don't deserve it. Mercy: God lovingly doesn't give us what we do deserve.
  • How to focus on being Christlike in all phases of my life:

Everyday worship begins in Solitude (time with God.

is in service to others

is in struggles

is in sacrifice

  • Attributes of successful people:
  • Successful people have high energy levels
  • Success God's way is a life of stewardship (Joseph a great example)
  • A life of success is one that prepares for the future

  • Adversity comes because:
  • It is common among people
  • As a consequence of sin
  • Because as Christians we should expect trials and tribulations
  • Adversity causes us to come to God alone
  • Sin may separate you from God....circumstances cannot!
  • Forgiveness is me giving up my right to hate you for wronging me
  • Weak people don't forgive
  • Our view of God determines how we live...idolatry is saying to God..you're not enough
  • Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth. Numbers 12:3. One verse I struggle to live by..but I have a great desire to do so. Funny note: my current boss has made it his life's work to humble me and he has done a pretty decent job of it.
  • Never trust how things look or feel
  • Prayerlessness always keeps us from hearing God
  • It's never too late to be used of God
  • God can turn a curse into a blessing
  • The closer we get to God....the tougher the battle
  • We need to totally defeat sin in our lives, wherever we find it.
  • When we do battle with Satan we need to come from prayer first!
  • Whatever battle you fight, God will meet your needs (note: even when it seems the battle is lost, God has a plan and a benefit to the one who puts Him first and at the forefront of the battle)
  • You discover a person's greatness by what it takes to discourage him
  • Vision is seeing God's plan in spite of the obstacles
  • It's ok to ask God for big dreams, if you are willing to step out with single mindedness to reach it. If you are open to obstacles, if we are sure God wants us to have it, if we have been obedient in other areas of our lives.
  • You are as young as your faith and as old as your fears. God gives us what we are prepared to receive.
  • May the rest of my years be the best of my years (based upon Joshua 14:10.
  • Walk with God today not from yesterday.
  • Power from God today comes from purity with God today.
  • The size of our circumstances are in direct proportion to the size of your God
  • Doing business with God: Basis 2 Chronicles 7:14: Humble yourself, humility is honest recognition that I need God, Pray: prayer is a relationship not a religious activity or formula, Seek His face, Turn from your wicked ways (PS 66:18) God says if they will do these things I will meet their needs.
  • Trust God no matter what the circumstances (I would add here that we should trust God on the front end of any and all situations...not when we are in the midst of the storm) This quote is mine and I based it on Job 2:10 "Job says shall we accept good from God and not trouble...In all this Job did not sin in what he said."
  • My greatest challenge today is to forget yesterday and live for today...to live today and not dwell on tomorrow. I wrote this quote on July 13, 2006 after reading Isaiah 43:18-19" Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing!"
  • Disobedience:Based upon the book of Jonah. Disobedience is when there is a conflict between God's opinion and yours. You decide to choose your opinion over God's. Disobedience will always take you away from the presence of the Lord. Disobedience leads to dilemma. When you disobey God you invite the storms of life down on you. Delays because of disobedience are always worse than dilemmas.
  • No matter what I will rejoice...my joy should not be dependent upon my circumstances. I wrote this on 2/20/07 after reading Habakkuk 3:17-18.
  • If God can be trusted for salvation, can't he be trusted for everything else?
  • Worry is practical atheism..we are playing God. Worry is unnatural, worry is unhelpful, worry is unchristian, worry is unnecessary, worry is unreasonable, worry= a divided mind, we worry about the wrong things, worry is not trusting God, when we worry we do not understand God.
  • Peace is not created....it is found. It has always been and it will always be! I AM is peace personified. "Note I don't know who said this but wish I could have".
  • Discipleship is when it is my choice to deny myself and accept God's plan and terms everyday, even when we don't know the plan fully. Based upon Luke 9:23.
  • We must die to self to live for Christ: Three things that keep us from dying to self: 1. Affluence 2. Adversity 3. Apathy.
  • Do not become so obsessed with His return that you lose sight of the mission.
  • God does nothing apart from prayer. "John Wesley"
  • A great quote from Randy Pope, pastor of Perimeter Church, Duluth, GA: "you should attempt something so great for God that if He be not in it, it be deemed for failure." my paraphrase.
  • We don't always get what we pray for but we get what is best for us.
  • There is so little power in the church because there is so little purity in the church.
  • When we suffer we must believe in who God is and that I am a part of a bigger story...it's not about me. See PS 16:8-9
  • We easily give up because we do not seek the one who is invisible
  • Admit your shortcomings....God will help you without finding fault in your inadequacies.
  • Live as strangers here...Don't get too comfortable, don't love it here so much you hate to leave...Remember your true home.
  • Finally a quote from many people. I could not identify the original author: All people have this in common: they are either in a storm, leaving a storm or about to enter a storm...I even heard Rick Warren use this one recently. I do know this...with the Lord's help you can ride out any storm that may come your way...my quote.

I end my list here....what an exercise. I am sure there are many other quotes I have written in other places but these were written on the pages of my 35 year old Scholfield Study Bible. The Bible was given to me by a dear friend and Pastor, Reverend Stanton Cram in Pea Ridge, Ark. Stanton taught me how to dig into and study the Word and for this I am forever grateful. I hope you enjoy these random quotes and thoughts and don't hold it against me if I failed to give proper credit to the one who gave the quote.

Doug


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I am a husband, father and grandfather to 5 beautiful little girls. I am a follower of Christ