Friday, June 3, 2011

Men of Influence Part 7: Ed Rice

Well there is little doubt that any of you know or have heard of Mr. Ed Rice. Outside of my dad and my family there would be no reason for you to have heard of Ed. But this man was my first boss who really had a major impact on my life in that he taught me most everything I know about poultry husbandry. Ed was a geneticist with a company known as Vantress Pedigree. This company sold day old breeder chickens all over the world. These were the best of the best chickens and are the grandparents of the broiler you buy in the store. Ed was a native of Ft. Payne, Alabama and was a close cousin of the vocal group Alabama. He moved the Vantress operation to Bear Hollow, Missouri (close to Jane,Mo.)when Tyson purchased his company. Ed hired me to replace his farm manager after the farm had been operable for about one year.

I was a twenty five year old, inexperienced young man who had no business being in the position I was in. I had some limited experience on chicken farms but primarily my experience was with a shovel. I was hired because of the reputation of my dad in the business and my knowledge of some key people at Tyson. So here I was with sixty chicken houses, a hatchery and about forty of the roughest mountain folks you can imagine. It was all mine to manage. Thank God for Ed Rice.

Ed had a unique way of training. He and I would sit in his office with a huge coffee pot(48 cup)and we would discuss every aspect of our work and he would answer every question I had. This happened at least two days each week. Our work would then move to the field. Ed taught me how to select future breeders based on multiple traits. We also took chickens apart and Ed taught me how to diagnose various diseases that are common to poultry. I never heard him raise his voice with me (though I probably deserved it). He was patient and I guess you would say he was a true mentor to a young man. I can say without a doubt that I would not have been able to succeed in this first job without Ed by my side and I will be forever grateful.

Ed breathed chicken dust and cigarette smoke for over forty years and he died from lung disease. He was a short man, probably 5'6" and weighed about 200. He was always on a diet that he never kept. Sharon and I lived on the farm about 100 yards from our office and Ed and I had lunch most everyday at Sharon's cafe, so this also hurt any chance of his dieting. Ed had rosy cheeks and heavy blonde hair and always was surrounded by laughter. He could walk into any room and people would gravitate to him. I was a blessed man to be able to spend my first seven years in the poultry industry with Ed. Things I learned then are still with me today. I truly received a college education during my time with Ed.

I owe Ed for the foundation he gave me. I only wish I could have been the kind of mentor and friend to folks who worked with me during the past few years. Ed, I really miss your familiar laugh and again I thank you for investing in a young man with no experience.

3 comments:

  1. Doug, what a beautiful blog. I hope you know how much Daddy loved you! I happened to come across this, and it brings back so many memories ... especially his laughter! Thank you for being such a special part of his life.

    Blessings,
    Molly Rice Cross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, you never know how small this world is. Ed and his family were good friends when he was with Vantress in Duluth GA. His son Joe was same age as I and a good friend all through school. I remember one time when we were about 12 that we "swapped houses" -- My Dad was having a new house built as soon as he could sell the one we lived in, the Rices bought our house and we moved into the rental they were vacating. I remember all of the family well and fondly.
    Joe Harrington
    Fayetteville GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Doug
    It’s a long shot that you still watch this site.
    I’m writing the History of the Vantress Breeding Company and I’m wanting to find out when Ed started working for Vantress, My guess is some time in the 60’s. Be great if you read this and reply.
    Cheers
    Kingsley Smith

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

I am a husband, father and grandfather to 5 beautiful little girls. I am a follower of Christ