Monday, June 22, 2009

Love always protects, trusts, hopes and always perseveres

It was a beautiful but hot day at Hilton Head. First day under 100 degrees since arriving on Saturday. I played in a golf scramble that was supposed to be handicapped but my 21 hcap was the best on the team. Despite the lack of an A or B player we shot a -2 and it was a real team effort. The days have been very busy with meetings but the afternoons are free for golf.

I have arrived at the final day of the study of the attributes of love from 1 Corinthians Chapter 13. Today's topics are the always of Love. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres. I think this verse speaks of the love we have for our mate but also the love we have for family and friends. Love always protects could mean from harm or disaster. I think it really speaks of protection from evil and the harm that can come from outside forces. It speaks of the destruction of marriages and families by society and from the enemy. As a father and a husband I know that my responsibility was to protect my family and keep them from harm. My children depended on my guidance to keep them from wrong living by establishing guidelines to live by that would steer them in the right direction.

Love always trusts in the other person. Our mates must trust us not only in the vows we took but also in our guidance and instruction. If trust is broken it takes a long time to rebuild this trust. Our children trust us to do what is right and also to guide their lives until they are old enough to go out on their own. Love always hopes for the other person and for the future. Love has a hope in Christ and His salvation, His faithfulness etc. Finally I come to the last attribute....Love always perseveres. This one I think is the key to any marriage or meaningful relationship. If a marriage is to last it must persevere through the hard times and I really think marriages must be built upon this principle.

Having been married nearly forty years I can say that every year was not an easy year. There were extreme days of testing but with a strong will and a trust in God alone we made it through the tough times. I also know that the tough times are not over. There will be more and again our hope, our strength and our hope is in God alone to carry us through these times. For I know whom I have believed and I trust that He is able to keep me through the difficult days. I think this is the greatest gift we can have to know that God is there, that He is faithful, that He will keep me and protect me. My hope and trust is in Him. The neat thing is that this gift is free and it's all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I am a husband, father and grandfather to 5 beautiful little girls. I am a follower of Christ