Monday, June 15, 2009

Love is not rude!

This daily study of 1 Corinthians Chapter 13 is really tough on the writer. I must think through each of the attributes of love and how they apply to my life. I consider if the attribute is present in my life and if not what to do concerning this situation. I have learned that to write about these things requires me to focus on them. If I focus on them I am more apt to practice them. If I practice them they can become a natural thing in my life. I know this....without them I do not love others as I should. I think to hear Christ say that He is proud of me and my efforts would be the greatest thing ever.

Today the thought is "Love is not Rude". Another gut wrenching analysis of my own life and disposition is in order. Have I been rude? Yes. Am I rude even today? Yes. Is my desire to not be rude? Yes. To not be rude is to be kind and patient. Again one begets the next. If am patient, I am kind. If I am kind I am not rude. To whom are we most likely to be rude? To those we love and are around the most.....our mate, our family, those we work with. Why is this? I think the real person comes out when we are around them long enough.

Rudeness is in a way self-centerdness. Our view must be heard and accepted or we become belligerent and rude. To not be rude is to accept another view point and often to keep our mouth shut even when we don't agree with the other person. What do we gain from always airing our view? Momentary satisfaction that I have been heard? Is it pride in our own agenda that causes rudeness? Many things contribute but again I think it is putting self first and not really caring about others and their feelings.

One of the ways I fight this characteristic is to speak slowly. Think before I speak, listen carefully and then speak softly. This defeats our immediate reaction to lash out. Another cause of rudeness is that we take out our frustrations over completely unrelated issues and those around us suffer the brunt of our assault.

The thing that enters my thoughts at this moment is to be a gentle person. This does not leave room for rudeness. By being gentle I do not mean to say that one should be a wallflower with no opinions or one who hides in his shell. I feel that we will always have disagreements but these should not lead to rudeness. There is not a lot that I respect about politicians but I do hold in high regard the man who can be lashed out at and not lose his temper and still present his argument. This is a wise man as he will never accomplish his task to present an argument if he gets caught up in rude behaviour.

I think on Jesus and His reaction to harsh words, criticism and being treated unfairly. I can really only think of one time in the New Testament that He really lost it and this was in the temple when he overturned the money changers tables. I do think on the many times he was verbally and physically abused but did not resort to rude tactics or getting even. He left room for God to take out any vengeance. Romans Chapter 12 tells us to get along peaceably with all men (as much as is possible). It tells us to not return evil for evil. This is a difficult calling but one for which we will receive reward if we are faithful.

Once again as I have said from the beginning....we must focus on those things that we desire to change in our lives. If we have a problem with rudeness we must focus on kindness. The best thing we can do in addition to prayer for strength is to listen quickly and speak slowly. To think about the words we may say and to consider how our statement may impact those we are addressing. If we are rude to others how can we show the love of Christ to those same people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I am a husband, father and grandfather to 5 beautiful little girls. I am a follower of Christ